What is OSHA?
OSHA stands for Occupational Safety and Health Administration. OSHA creates and enforces safety and health regulations to ensure that employees work in environments that are free from recognized hazards.
29 CFR 1910.1030 – Bloodborne Pathogens*
Universal Precautions is an approach to infection control. According to the concept of Universal Precautions, all human blood and certain human body fluids are treated as if known to be infectious for HIV, HBV, and other bloodborne pathogens. (The purpose of the Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, is to limit occupational exposure to blood, bodily fluids, and other potentially infectious materials (OPIM) because any exposure could result in bloodborne pathogen transmission.)
*Note: The complete Bloodborne Pathogens Standards can be obtained at http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/bloodbornepathogens/standards.html or by contacting OSHA at (800) 321-OSHA
Safetec is Committed to Providing Your Company with a Universal Precaution Compliance Kit
This kit is designed to help in OSHA Standard Compliance (1910.1030) and combines personal protection and clean-up items mandated by OSHA, CDC, and State Health Departments to aid in the clean-up, transportation, and disposal of potentially infectious blood or body fluid spills.
5 Steps to Efficiently Contain & Remove a Bloodborne Pathogens Spill**
1. PREVENT – to prevent direct contact with the spill during the cleanup process and minimize the risk for infection, disposable protective clothing must be worn. This includes gloves, combo mask/safety shield, and a protective apron.
2. CONTAIN & REMOVE – to efficiently contain and remove the spill, a solidifying agent (Safetec® Red Z®) and scoop/scraper are to be used and the spill contents are to be disposed of in a red biohazard bag.
3. DISINFECT – to properly disinfect the contaminated surface area, use the (SaniZide Plus®) germicidal wipe. (This process is critical for preventing any further contamination)
4. DISPOSE – discard the germicidal wipe, gloves, safety shield and apron into a red biohazard bag and dispose of the bag as required by your local, state and federal regulations.
5. SANITIZE – use the p.a.w.s® wipe to sanitize hands and use soap and water after immediate cleanup is done
**All personnel must be trained in the use of the spill kit before any cleanup process is performed.
Safetec Products to Help You Comply with OSHA Spill Clean-Up Standards:
Combo Mask/Safety Shield