Route to Safety: Back to School Supplies, Part 3
Keeping hands clean is king when reducing germs that may cause illness in all settings, especially in K-12 schools. The COVID-19 pandemic brought to the surface just how important proper hand hygiene solutions are.
When germs such as those that cause flu, stomach bugs, COVID-19, and the common cold get onto hands, they can be transmitted from person to person, causing outbreaks of infections. In addition, germs from contaminated hands can be transferred to surfaces, spreading the infection further. Since they are notoriously germy settings, schools need the right products and guidance to promote effective and consistent hand hygiene practices among students and staff.
Washing Hands Properly
When performed properly, hand washing with soap and water is one of the most effective things you can do to reduce germs on hands. Here are a few tips:
• Scrub hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds to remove illness-causing germs.
• Reinforce effective handwashing behaviors with reminders and signs.
• Remember to lather. Lathering and scrubbing hands create friction to lift dirt, grease, and germs from the skin.
• If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% ethanol or 70% isopropyl alcohol content.
Building a Culture of Hand Hygiene
• Establish daily routines for students and staff to wash hands, especially at key times like before lunch or playing outside.
• Provide FDA-regulated hand sanitizers with at least 60% ethanol or 70% isopropyl alcohol content for teachers, staff, and students.
• Place hand sanitizer stations near frequently touched surfaces and areas where soap and water are not readily available (e.g., cafeterias, classrooms, gyms).
• Some alcohol-based sanitizers, like Safetec’s Instant Hand Sanitizer, kill up to 99.9% of germs that could cause illness and are mild to the skin, and won’t dry hands out, making students and staff more likely to use them.
The Right Tools
Although many schools provide hand sanitizer in common places, it’s important to recognize that not all hand sanitizers are the same. Most school districts have stocks of hand sanitizer. However, due to the shortages faced last year, some of the products schools stocked up on during the pandemic are not safe, effective or pleasant to use.
Every Safetec product that leaves our facility is manufactured according to strict FDA safety and regulatory standards, using only high-quality ingredients, and has passed rigorous testing.
Hand hygiene will play a crucial role in preventing illness throughout the 2021-2022 school year. The combination of full classes, staff, and moving about the facility presents a great risk of cross-contamination and infection spread. Therefore, it’s important to provide an easy and effective handwashing method so you can be confident in the health and safety of your school.
Made in America, for America
Safetec of America uses only high-quality ingredients combined with the right formulas, making our products effective and safe for use.
Safetec’s instant hand sanitizer formulations kill up to 99.99% of widespread germs and contain 66.5% ethyl alcohol, above the CDC’s recommended amount. Aloe vera is infused in every drop of our hand hygiene solutions to keep your skin soft and add moisture with every use.
From SaniWash® Antimicrobial Hand Soap, Instant Hand Sanitizer Gel and Spray, or individual p.a.w.s.® Antimicrobial Hand Wipes, we’ve got the ideal product line for any industry or facility, including K-12 schools.